Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sake Festival

Seb and I went to the Sake Festival tonight. It's one of the events in the Cherry Blossom Festival that's going on right now. It felt a bit like a convention slash buffet. There were tables serving food, and other tables serving sake. You basically went around, picked up a small plate of food here, a little cup of sake there, etc. I would have liked to ask more questions, but the people behind the tables were pretty busy serving people. And there were A LOT of people attending. I suppose this makes it a success. The first table I approached was serving little cubes of yellowtail with a cilantro/olive sauce (I think) which was quite yummy. But I asked the girl behind the table what kind of sake I should have it with, and she said "that's a good question. Honestly I have no idea." Hmm, I thought I would be learning about sake/food pairings here?! Some tables did have little tasting notes such as "try --- sake with the teriyaki chicken from *** restaurant!" but I wasn't about to fight my way through the crowds just to find it. Can't say I learned much about pairing sake with food, but there was good food, and there was good sake. I can't complain much. One of the most popular foods was the sushi from Genji Sushi. They were making an endless stream of salmon nigiri at their table (salmon in Japanese is sake), and people were eating them faster than they could churn them out.

No comments: