Saturday, April 14, 2007

On unexpected guests, and tidy apartments

I am not a cleaning kind of person. While I do prefer clean to mess, and I have made several resolutions to clean more often and more regularly, I just don't enjoy it. Our apartment has a tendency to devolve from tidy to messy, and stay that way until we're expecting guests over. Only then am I sufficiently motivated to clean the place.

Thursday evening, as I'm making supper (Japanese curry, if you're curious), I got a call from Seb:
"Plam's at the airport. He'll be arriving as soon as he figures out the public transport to get to our place."

It had been a few weeks since we had anyone over, so our apartment was starting to be on the messy side. Moreover, this was rather short notice. I confess I was rather panicked. Plam undoubtedly remembers the unholy mess of Seb's bachelor apartment days but ... well, I have certain standards to uphold. Cue Benny Hill music as I tidied up the apartment on speed, cleaning the bathroom in record time, vacuuming the kitchen with one hand whilst stirring the curry pot with the other. Plam arrived just after I finished my frenetic cleaning session. We had a nice dinner, and I hope he is none the wiser. (Until he sees this blog post, I guess.)

There is a lesson here, which I hope I will take to heart, about keeping the apartment presentably clean at all times.

No comments: