Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Talk about mollycoddling!

A Japanese girl who's been studying english in Philly for the past 6 months called me up last night. I had invited her to a couple of parties chez nous, but I hadn't heard from her in months. She's going back to Japan next Monday. She said she has all this luggage, so she's thinking of calling a taxi to get to the airport. Sounds like a good idea, I said. Could I tell her how it's done? Umm, okay, hold on, let me look up the phone number of the taxi company... You just call and ask them to send a taxi to your address. They might want to know the airline and your destination, so you should have your itinerary in front of you, I said. After a short pause, she asked if I could call a taxi for her. Ummm, okaaaay, I suppose I could. (Although if you can't call a taxi for yourself after over six months of language school in another country, clearly there is something wrong.) I know and I sympathise with the difficulties in learning a language, and particularly for shy japanese people. But I would like to think that I would be too ashamed of myself to ask someone else to call a taxi for me after having studied the language intensively for six months. At the very least, I would offer to buy the person a coffee or something.

No comments: