Friday, August 12, 2005

In Soviet Russia

Yesterday, I received a letter in the following FedEx envelope:



Yes, opened by U.S. Customs. Neither origin nor destination was in the U.S. What next? Censors?

[Update: I hadn't noticed until now, but they actually opened the letter inside as well. I can't believe it. It was a letter of recommendation from a prof, so the fact that it was opened kind of renders it unusable. The lesson here is not to use FedEx anymore, because they'll open your mail.]

In peripherally related news, I don't believe I will ever transit through the States again.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/08/11/arar-lawsuit050811.html

The opening paragraph:

A senior lawyer for the U.S. government has told a judge hearing a lawsuit over Maher Arar's deportation to Syria that foreign citizens passing through American airports have almost no rights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should sue FedEx or at least complain to get money back.

Anonymous said...

I never want to leave the country now.